Antique Ansonia Clocks
Ansonia Clock Labels and Trademarks

Just Added - Ansonia Crystal Regulators 1905 Catalog
Home | Company History | Ansonia Clock Model Names | Trademarks and Labels | "How Much Is My Clock Worth?" | Buying and Selling Ansonia Clocks | Links

1850 - During the first year of business, there was a transition between Terry & Andrews old firm and the new Ansonia Clock Company. Theodore Terry ran the company. A few clocks are known with a full printed label of Terry & Andrews, Ansonia, and many clocks are known with labels and/or movements marked Terry & Andrews, Bristol, yet with dials or otherwise marked Ansonia Clock Company, Ansonia.
1854 to 1869 - After the original factory burned down in 1854, the Ansonia Brass & Battery Mill, one of Phelps, Dodge & Co. subsidiary companies, continued to make brass movements for supply to the general clockmaking trade. They also made some finished clocks that were usually marketed under the label Ansonia Brass Company and, more rarely, the Ansonia Brass & Battery Company.
1869 to 1877 - Full-scale clock production resumes under the name of the newly incorporated Ansonia Brass & Copper Co., a reorganization of the Ansonia Brass & Battery Company.

A clock with a label that reads Ansonia Brass & Copper Company
means it was most likely made between 1869 and 1877.

1877 to 1879 - The Ansonia Clock Company is reborn when the clockmaking operation is spun off from the brass and copper milling operation. Although the company was incporporated in New York, the Brooklyn factory was not yet in operation. Clocks from this era will usually have a label reading Ansonia Clock Company, Ansonia, Connecticut
1879 to 1883 - The Brooklyn, New York factory opens in 1879. It burns down in 1880 and is rebuilt and reopens in 1881. During this transitional period clocks continued to be made at the Ansonia, Connecticut factory as well.

During the transitional period of 1879 to 1883 the locations of both the Connecticut and New York factories both appear on the labels.

detail of label shown above

1883 - The factory in Ansonia, Connecticut is closed and all operations are moved to Brooklyn, New York.

From 1883 to 1929 only the New York location is found on the bale.